How do you heat store-bought corn tortillas? I

I already tried the microwave in paper towel method and found the results rubbery. Is that because they're store bought or there's a better way to heat them?

asked by MarionRose over 4 years ago

MarionRose

Thank you Lisina. That sounds like a great idea.

lisina

you're welcome! and keep them wrapped until you're ready to use them or as you use them.

Chef's Hat

I always put them in a non sticking pan, heating both sides until they start to get some color. Takes some time, but I like it far better then putting them in the oven.

LE BEC FIN

This is my method, if you have a gas stove and like a grilled flavor: (Scroll through the photos to see tortilla grilling)
http://food52.com/recipes...

lisabu

I have a gas stove. I take tongs and hold them directly over the flame for 10-15 seconds each side.

Here's a more radical approach for corn tortillas. I did this yesterday for soft tacos with pork and salsa verde. Toss the tortillas directly on a gas burner on your range. This gives them a slight char and a mildly smokey flavor. This works for huevos rancheros as well.

cookbookchick

I find that microwaving bread products always makes them tough and rubbery, especially as they cool.