How do you heat store-bought corn tortillas? I

I already tried the microwave in paper towel method and found the results rubbery. Is that because they're store bought or there's a better way to heat them?

Voted the Best Reply!

lisina
lisina March 12, 2014

wrap a stack of them in aluminum foil and pop them in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or so. they'll steam inside the packet and stay nice and soft.

MarionRose
MarionRose March 12, 2014

Thank you Lisina. That sounds like a great idea.

lisina
lisina March 12, 2014

you're welcome! and keep them wrapped until you're ready to use them or as you use them.

Chef's Hat
Chef's Hat March 12, 2014

I always put them in a non sticking pan, heating both sides until they start to get some color. Takes some time, but I like it far better then putting them in the oven.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 13, 2014

This is my method, if you have a gas stove and like a grilled flavor: (Scroll through the photos to see tortilla grilling)
http://food52.com/recipes...

lisabu
lisabu March 13, 2014

I have a gas stove. I take tongs and hold them directly over the flame for 10-15 seconds each side.

pierino March 13, 2014

Here's a more radical approach for corn tortillas. I did this yesterday for soft tacos with pork and salsa verde. Toss the tortillas directly on a gas burner on your range. This gives them a slight char and a mildly smokey flavor. This works for huevos rancheros as well.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick March 13, 2014

I find that microwaving bread products always makes them tough and rubbery, especially as they cool.