What exactly is the best cornmeal product to use for polenta?

There is regular cornmeal or cornmeal called 'polenta.' There are different sizes, too, such as coarse or fine. I want to make the Grilled Polenta with Caramelized Onions, but don't know which to use for the nice 'rubbery' polenta.

patty marguet
patty marguet March 14, 2014

• coarse ground corn meal
bring 3 cups of water to a boil. add salt. slowly add 1 cup of corn meal (in a stream so thin you can see the individual grains of cornmeal) - stir constantly with a wooden spoon. after all of the cornmeal is incorporated, reduce the heat to low & continue to stir until the cornmeal thickens & pulls away from the sides of the pan. rub the bottom & sides of a 9x9 baking pan with olive oil & smooth the polenta out across the bottom. allow to cool before cutting.

smslaw
smslaw March 14, 2014

I've made 2 batches in the last week, using regular cornmeal, which works just fine. You can make it in the oven as well as on the stove-top. Just mix the water and cornmeal in a baking dish and bake for an hour or so at 375 or so.
The NYT recently had a fun recipe that adds grated butternut squash.