butternut & corned beef hand pies

I was thinking of making hand pies tonight with a filling of butternut squash (mostly) and minced corned beef. Seasoned with a little cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Does that sound like it would work or is the combo too weird?

Voted the Best Reply!

Jessica
Jessica March 14, 2014

I think this could work if you can balance out the sweetness from the butternut squash and the corned beef (I find corned beef to be on the sweeter side). Maybe instead of the aforementioned seasonings which are excellent additions to squash go in a different direction. Dry mustard? It'll give the dish a kick.

Also, I would dice the butternut squash and deeply carmelize it in a pan prior to stuffing in the handpies otherwise you'll be stuck with a mashed mess with chunks of corned beef sticking out.

HalfPint March 14, 2014

Mustard does sound like a nice addition. Thx!

Maedl March 15, 2014

The combination sounds a bit off to me, but the sweet-salty pairing might work. If I were doing it, I would use ham or Italian sausage in place of the corned beef, and add a bit of fennel, rosemary, and or sage.