What is "candied" ginger, and how does it differ from "crystallized" ginger? I saw a recipe recently for "candied" ginger, but I don't recall ever seeing such a thing in the shops I frequent in the SF Bay Area. The "crystallized" ginger I buy is thin slices, fragrant and spicy to the taste, yellow, chewy/gummy, lightly coated with sugar, and really well suited, to my mind, for use in baking. (It almost has the consistency of candied orange peel that hasn't been dried for too long.) What do you think? Can I use it in a cookie recipe that calls for "candied" ginger? Thank you, everyone!! ;o)

TiggyBee
TiggyBee December 16, 2010

I have some of each right now in my pantry, so I just checked and I think they are one and the same. No taste difference either and the ingredient list is almost word for word the same. I guess some companies market them under different names! I would use it.

mrslarkin December 16, 2010

I think they are very similar, and both can be used in cooking and baking. Just chop to the size you need.

I have both types also. My favorite is Trader Joe's Uncrystallized Candied Ginger, sold with the dried fruits and nuts. I prefer this one because it does not contain any preservatives/sulfites, as I try to use all-natural ingredients when I bake. It has more of a dried-fruit texture.

The other one I have, Trader Joe's Crystallized Ginger Slices, has the texture of firm fruit jellies.

Jon Palmer
Jon Palmer December 16, 2010

The "crystallized" stuff will typically be coated with sugar, whereas the other stuff won't. That's pretty much the only difference. I happen to prefer the crystallized, but you can use them interchangeably.

PS - Crystallized ginger + dipping one edge in dark chocolate + a couple grains of coarse sea salt = the most addictive confection I've ever eaten.

Food52
Food52 December 16, 2010

There was a recent thread on this that might help: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

aussiefoodie
aussiefoodie December 16, 2010

I wouldn't use them interchangeably - candied ginger is sometimes called glace ginger in British recipes, and is much more syrupy, not as dry and also sweeter than crystallized ginger.