What to drink with pie?

Remember the Modern Farmer's Pie Chart of Pie? Well, a group of friends and I are baking our way through it - a pie a month. This month we're catching up on two months so it's more of a party. What should I serve with the pies? There will be a chocolate pie and a lemon pie. It will be too late in the day for the tradition, coffee. So what boozy drink could we serve that would be good with these sweet things? Thanks!

The Lard Of Avon
The Lard Of Avon March 25, 2014

Stout or porter! Have a nice dark beer. Most of these have similar flavor profiles to black coffee. While I like Russian Imperials, those may be too strong for some. Could always go oatmeal stout, milk stout or a chocolate stout.

HalfPint March 25, 2014

A dessert wine like a Sauternes, Riesling, moscato, or ice wine. Or some champagne.

Voted the Best Reply!

Jessica
Jessica March 25, 2014

Both of those pies are going to have a thicker texture for the filling - the kind of texture that sticks to the roof of your mouth. I'd suggest something light and bubbly to counteract the stickiness. A simple glass or two of champagne/prosecco would work nicely. Or a champagne cocktail like a Kir Royale (the raspberry liquer would compliment both the chocolate and lemon without overpowering) or prosecco with a splash of St. Germian and a lemon peel.

nancy essig
nancy essig March 25, 2014

Absolutely, prosecco or a nice sparkly white. It will be the icing on your Pie Party

dinner at ten
dinner at ten March 26, 2014

I have to quote Cartman: "Punch and pie!"

rt21
rt21 March 26, 2014

What about a Guinness float?..... That way you get pie, ice cream and drink!

Dave on the grill
Dave on the grill March 26, 2014

Call me crazy, but I like a nice Pinot Noir or Cab with a rich dessert, but again call me crazy. White Russian would be nice, heavy on the white and light on the Russian. Or a simple decaf Irish coffee.

amysarah March 26, 2014

Hmmm....well, Port actually pairs well with chocolate (especially dark chocolate,) so maybe also with the chocolate pie? For the lemon pie, perhaps a Kir Royale, made with Limoncello instead of Creme de Cassis?

Nothing in the House // Emily Hilliard

Bourbon pairs well with chocolate, as does a Porter or stout. For the lemon pie, I'd suggest something citrusy or floral--maybe a gin and tonic, or this Hendricks, grapefruit and rose water drink my friend & I just paired w/ Lemon-Lavender Meringue Pie Cookies: http://www.pandaheadblog.com/2014/03/how-do-you-do-petal-pusher.html

Anyway, I really don't think you can go wrong!

AKOS
AKOS March 26, 2014

Apple Ice Wine (IE Neige) Sooooo tart and sweet and perfect with pastry

jamcook
jamcook March 26, 2014

A nice cold glass of milk... Although this doesn't meet your booze requirement!

First We Eat
First We Eat March 26, 2014

I agree, pie is so delicious on it's own that I'm not sure what you could possibly enhance it with. My favorite accompaniment to pie is always a cup of black tea - could be decaf if it's late in the evening. again, doesn't meet the boozy requirement, but its nice at the end of a meal!

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake March 27, 2014

That made me think of a Chai tea white russian.

ChefJune March 27, 2014

Chocolate pie... there's an Italian wine from Piedmont... Brachetto d'Acqui. Red, sparkling. Delicious with dense chocolate desserts! My Italian cooking maven, Anna Teresa Callen, brought my first one as a hostess gift when she knew I'd made a chocolate terrine for dessert. SO perfect! I have one in my wine fridge almost all the time now. You know, it's good to be prepared. :) Lemon pie? I would probably serve Limoncello. Also Italian, it's a sunny liqueur made from lemons in Sorrento.

JadeTree
JadeTree March 30, 2014

Thank you all! We ended up with four pies: an excellent bourbon pecan pie (holdout from the January selection!), the America's Test Kitchen Chocolate Cream Pie, a bittersweet chocolate pie and, mine, the Lemon Meringue pie from Food52, which was crazy delicious. Seriously. Make that pie. Anyway, I went with a crisp Prosecco and Guiness and a brown ale the pecan pie friend brought. The bubbly was perfect before, during and after - that is perfect with any of these pies. The beers shone once the pies were consumed. Everyone was desperate for savory or sour things and flutes were refilled and the beer vanished. Happily I had panic-bought marinated olives, salumi and various spicy and smoked nuts so everyone lingered for the rest of the afternoon, savoring their drinks and soothing their sweet-satiated palates with a nibble here and there and then finally went away pretending they were going to eat dinner. Thank you for all of the suggestions! We decided to have our meetings quarterly to get another selection of pies all at one time so I will recall these ideas in June!

The Lard Of Avon
The Lard Of Avon March 30, 2014

Outstanding on the evening, and glad my suggestion on beer bore fruit.