is it possible to soak cashews for too long?

Toes time effect the texture? I'm making the raw, vegan, strawberry vanilla cheese cake and I've never worked with soaked nuts before

Nissrine @ Harmony à la Carte

How long did you soak them for? I usually soak them overnight when I want to make a cashew cream and that gives the best results vs soaking for 2-3 hours, as they get really soft and then blend up nice and smoothly. Last night i soaked some and then forgot about them until this afternoon, so they were soaking for a good 16 hours. I drained them and used them for a maple cashew cream frosting to top my vegan whole wheat carrot cupcakes and it turned out great. So I'd say for a cheesecake, the longer the better. Hope that helps.

littlechef16
littlechef16 April 18, 2014

yes. they are like any woody substance, they can bloat and ferment if left for more than a day.

Nissrine @ Harmony à la Carte

Oh good to know!

Miguelito
Miguelito April 19, 2014

You can blanch them, which is to partially cook them in boiling water for a minute or two, to get the mellow the flavor and muddle the nuttyness a bit. If you blanch enough at one time then you have cashew water you can use to experiment with later