I cleaned out my flower pots this weekend and discovered my sweet potato vine grew a purple looking potato. Is this variety edible and how does it taste?

Christina is the Vice President of Commerce Operations for Food52.

The sweet potato vine is ornamental only ... even though those things look tempting - they aren't really potatoes per se .... but you can plant thme and make more vines! Ours has quite a few too.

innoabrd

FWIW, most of the sweet potatoes we get here in South Africa are purple-skinned and white fleshed. I saw some orange ones a few months ago, would love to find again in time for Thanksgiving...