🔕 🔔

I cleaned out my flower pots this weekend and discovered my sweet potato vine grew a purple looking potato. Is this variety edible and how does it taste?

Christina is the Vice President of Commerce Operations for Food52.

asked almost 7 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

The sweet potato vine is ornamental only ... even though those things look tempting - they aren't really potatoes per se .... but you can plant thme and make more vines! Ours has quite a few too.

FWIW, most of the sweet potatoes we get here in South Africa are purple-skinned and white fleshed. I saw some orange ones a few months ago, would love to find again in time for Thanksgiving...