How do you get the flavor of lime to come through something like coconut milk without curdling it?

asked by @sdjurgensen almost 8 years ago

Have you had a problem with curdling coconut milk? That's fascinating. I put a lot of lime juice in my curries that also include coconut milk and have never had a problem. Coconut "milk" is chemically so different from cow's or any other animal's milk, so I'm really interested in this question. ;o)

nutcakes

I oly recall squeezing lime on top when it is plated, after making something, like a Thai curry.

RavensFeast

You could try infusing it with 1-2 Kaffir lime leaves instead. Depending on where you live, they could be tricky to find, but my local grocer carries them. They give a wonderful flavor and aroma.

Yummy_Mummy

AntoniaJames - Maybe I used evaporated milk instead of coconut milk by mistake. I wonder. So you've never had problems with it? I'm going to try it again and pay careful attention to the container I'm getting out of the freezer.

I've never had a problem with it. We put fresh lime juice in coconut milk-based cocktails all the time. Did you boil the coconut milk? That can curdle it. Many recipes that call for coconut milk in cooked dishes have you hold off until the very end, for that reason. ;o)

Jessica H
added about 2 months ago

What would you suggest as far as adding the lime juice- at the end? Or how do you suggest building the cocktail? I use coconut milk straight out of the can and do not boil it. It was room temperature though, maybe chilling it first would help? Thanks in advance.

Yummy_Mummy

@AntoniaJames...I didn't boil it, but it did simmer awhile. I do keep the heat on low. Thanks for the hints. Perhaps I'm using too much coconut milk. I'll have to do more experimenting with my new knowledge.

RobertaJ

Try just the grated zest of the lime instead of the juice. Like others, I've never had a problem with it curdling, but....I suppose it could.

The zest is just as flavorful, if not moreso, than the juice. If you have a microplane or similar grater, just run the lime over the teeth, and let the little flakes of zest fall into your sauce. Be careful not to get any white part (called the pith), since it's bitter. You can also remove slivers of zest (just the colored part of the peel is considered zest) and mince it finely, but the Microplane gets much smaller pieces.

added about 2 months ago

You can also get lime oil- I've seen it at Sur La Table (Boyajian, a dependable brand), but I think only in sets with lemon oil and orange oil. Good stuff to have around the kitchen- this is the flavor component of the zest.