🔕 🔔

How do I prevent coconut popsicles from becoming grainy?

I used 1 can of Natural Value brand no-preservative coconut milk (17-19% milk fat), along with 1/4 cup coconut water, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and zest from one lime, all blitzed together in a food processor. Seemed like a no-fail recipe, but the results were very grainy/gritty. Thanks for sleuthing a solution!

asked by Melina Hammer almost 2 years ago

I make coconut milk popsicles every summer. I make them with full fat coconut and usually canned pineapple or fresh berries. I sweeten them with honey. I don't use water (coconut or otherwise). The water is crystalizing. That is probably what you think is grainy. I haven't used maple syrup, but that seems like a fine sweetener. I think water is your problem. I sometimes even drain the liquid off that separates from the solid coconut in the can.

11b3440b ece6 419a 8ea3 594f89fbac9b  for food52

Thanks for the thoughtful advice! Do you have a coconut milk brand that you love? I will modify for a new version, esp with your noted water detail…

Tonight we sampled one of the ice pops straight from the freezer (the previous one had been out for a few) and it wasn't as grainy. It wasn't smooth and creamy though either, and so I will retry until I nail a terrific version… :)

It's fun to mess around to get the creamiest popsicles. I get it.

I just looked up your brand of coconut milk on Amazon. One thing that I don't understand is the verbiage on the ingredients. It says "coconut extract". I've never heard it put that way. Usually, it says "coconut milk" or simply "coconut". Water is usually added. Low fat is not good. It's simply full fat with lots of water added.

I like this one and ordered a case of 12 for a great price. Guar gum is not harmful and may help with smoothness.
http://www.amazon.com/dp...

This one is expensive, but it's the best. Just coconut. Nothing else. It's a smaller size too. 8.5 ounces. Great stuff though.
http://www.amazon.com/100...

Whole Foods 365 brand is very good. Believe it or not, Wal-Mart used to carry my favorite. I don't remember the exact name, but it had the word Crown on the label..I think. It's inexpensive and was just coconut milk and maybe water. A friend of mine across the country said her Wal-Mart still carries it.

One last thought..a really ripe banana will help make it smoother. I just don't really like them. I remember the texture was very good though.

Good luck and report back after you give it another go.

I meant to add..the photo of your brand also claimed it had 17% milk fat. That's odd. It should just say fat because there's no milk. I think that's just a mistake and it may just have been on the Amazon photo.