🔕 🔔

Garbanzo beans are the same as chick peas. Do you have a flour that contains both chick peas and favas? I would think it would work, if that is the case.

906edcb9 c33e 4d08 a351 dbbfe46ee585  image

Yes, I'm wondering about the fava factor ;) heck, I'll just try it - experimenting on dinner guests is always a thrill.

I would think you will have success--after all fava beans are popular in Italy and Italian cooks are experts at making whatever is at hand taste delicious. I love socca/farianata and am feeling inspired to make it again soon.

Cf72275c fff5 4c3d 91ff b486112ca91a  stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

I was puzzled by the recipe instructions to cook the socca/farinata under the broiler. In Liguria, which is the only place I've ever seen this done, farinata is cooked in a very hot wood-fired oven, like a pizza oven. When I do this at home, I set my oven on its highest setting (450/convection), set an iron skillet (flat like a pizza pan) in the oven for 15 minutes to get it really hot, then pour in the batter and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp on the edges. In Chiavari, which is farinata central and definitely worth a stop next time you tour the Riviera del Ponente, they drop a thin slice of lardo di Colonnata on top of the hot farinata so it melts and softens and oozes into the "pancake." I can't imagine anything finer with a glass of chilled vermentino!

Update - the chickpea/fava flour worked a treat, no problems! I used the broiler method and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the input :)