A question about a recipe: Vibrant Spring Socca

I have a question about the recipe "Vibrant Spring Socca " from Shell. Will my garbanzo and fava bean flour work well in this recipe? I've never made socca before.

B75f607d 7707 419e b45c e8d39f002b83  2014 0422 finalist vibrant spring socca 068
Recipe question for: Vibrant Spring Socca

Maedl May 2, 2014

Garbanzo beans are the same as chick peas. Do you have a flour that contains both chick peas and favas? I would think it would work, if that is the case.

JadeTree
JadeTree May 3, 2014

Yes, I'm wondering about the fava factor ;) heck, I'll just try it - experimenting on dinner guests is always a thrill.

Maedl May 3, 2014

I would think you will have success--after all fava beans are popular in Italy and Italian cooks are experts at making whatever is at hand taste delicious. I love socca/farianata and am feeling inspired to make it again soon.

Nancy Harmon Jenkins

I was puzzled by the recipe instructions to cook the socca/farinata under the broiler. In Liguria, which is the only place I've ever seen this done, farinata is cooked in a very hot wood-fired oven, like a pizza oven. When I do this at home, I set my oven on its highest setting (450/convection), set an iron skillet (flat like a pizza pan) in the oven for 15 minutes to get it really hot, then pour in the batter and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp on the edges. In Chiavari, which is farinata central and definitely worth a stop next time you tour the Riviera del Ponente, they drop a thin slice of lardo di Colonnata on top of the hot farinata so it melts and softens and oozes into the "pancake." I can't imagine anything finer with a glass of chilled vermentino!

JadeTree
JadeTree May 4, 2014

Update - the chickpea/fava flour worked a treat, no problems! I used the broiler method and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the input :)