burgers

Favorite burger "recipes," or, rather, your favorite mix/fat content of meat for making burgers?

• Posted by: ATG117
  • May 5, 2014

aargersi May 5, 2014

I usually go for 80/20 beef, or if I am doing turkey burgers I will add in some olive oil. As far as toppings, well the choices are myriad and depending on mood - for a crowd we will do a topping buffet and let everyone build their own, and keep the patties very simple.

boulangere May 5, 2014

I don't often eat meat, but when I'm craving a burger, I've fallen in love with grass-fed beef. I second Abbie's motion on 80-20, and keep it to medium-rare.

ATG117
ATG117 May 5, 2014

Thanks. I'm also not a meat eater and therefore still perfecting my burger technique. It seems like 80-20 is the consensus. Favorite mixes of meat?

ChezHenry
ChezHenry May 5, 2014

Ask your butcher for a first cut brisket. Have him grind it fresh for you. You will thank me.

sexyLAMBCHOPx May 5, 2014

Here's a past article that's pretty straight-forward for burgers: http://food52.com/blog...

My secret burger includes sweet onions into the mix, enough to add some moisture but not enough to make it a heavy onion tasting burger. Toppings are a must for building a customizable, delicious burger as well, of course.

ATG117
ATG117 May 5, 2014

Thanks. Have the basics down and not my first rodeo, but I am looking to focus on the meat, no add-ins. Because I don't eat meat, it makes deciding on the right mixture of cuts tough.