🔕 🔔

meringues and weather

I've read that you shouldn't make meringues when it's humid. Today was dry and breezy but now it's getting overcast and rain is expected later this evening. The whites are in the bowl but still chilly, not at room temp. Does the cloud cover mean it's too humid to make the meringues tonight? Do I have to wait until the whites warm? I was planning to make and freeze until Saturday. Help!

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Your whites should be room temp. Humidity and meringues is a relative thing. If you find that the inside of your home feels very humid like on a summer day then it will be more challenging for your meringues. Chances are the humidity isn't so bad. Make sure you give the meringues enough time to dry out in the oven and then store them in an airtight container

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Thank you, Monita!

I have made meringues in Florida, when it was very humid out and they turned out ok. The batches I left in the oven a little longer did work better though.