🔕 🔔

825d0824 4e50 463a 870b d1e6d7c2f28b  dscf2034

I have a fantastic meringue torte recipe, however, I want to convert it into a chocolate meringue. Do I need to adjust my dry ingredients to account for the addition of cocoa? How much cocoa should be added?
The recipe calls for: 4 egg whites, 3/4 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon vanilla
Thanks!

asked by NYCNomNom about 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I make meringue cookies frequently and I've wondered about this myself. I did some research and found this recipe from Hubert Keller in Food and Wine. Based on his proportions you'd need 2 tablespoons plus 1.5 teaspoons of cocoa powder. I'd suggest that you leave out the cream of tartar (I can always taste it--maybe that isn't true for you.) and use a pinch of kosher salt instead. The salt will help the egg whites beat up light and fluffy and will enhance the taste. Here's the link:
http://www.foodandwine...

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Try this: 4 egg whites, 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 2/3 cup powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract,

or this: 4 egg whites, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 2/3 cup powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons regular Hershey or Nestle cocoa (not Dutched), 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, pinch of salt.