🔕 🔔

Where to buy homemade stocks in NYC?

Hi there - I don't always have time to make a homemade chicken or veal stock - anyone know a good go-to place in the city? Stock must not contain salt for obvious reasons.

asked by LBosworth29 about 4 years ago

James Durazzo

This should help you out, I've been meaning to experiment with these.

http://foodcurated.com...

ChezHenry

Citarella

ChezHenry

I listed only Citarella specifically. Their stocks dont contain salt-if they do I cant detect it at all, and yes they do make their own.

Nice to have so many options: Fairway, Whole Foods, Citarella, Trader Joe's, Zabar's, Eli's Vinegar Factory, Eataly, Chelsea Market, Union Square Greenmarket - hours: http://www.grownyc.org...

Actually it's not so obvious why "no salt". The suggestions you have received for sources have been good ones but you will be hard pressed to find prepared stocks that don't contain salt. It's an essential component.

All these places will have stock available to purchase, but NONE of them will be "home made," nor do you want them to be! My personal preference if I'm buying stock is the product from More than Gourmet. They make a concentrate as well as a boxed stock. They are not highly salted, and they taste good to start with. I find many prepared stocks (especially the low sodium) to be flavorless. If that's what you want, I'd just as soon recommend water!

Amen ChefJune!

ATG117

Echo Elis and Zabars. Dean & Deluca, too.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I make my own and don't live anywhere near NYC, so this is rather an academic question, but are these products really stocks or are they broths? I see the terms used interchangeably sometimes, but it's my understanding that they are not the same at all.

grandma of six

Try Fresh Direct they have the best fresh food meats stocks, fish and poultry. Their cheeses are to die for, so are their fruits, smoked fish shellfish.
I have NEVER gotten anything bad from them and if I have a complaint, they remove the cost and give me credit