Refreezing chicken stock

Just defrosted and warmed up some homemade chicken stock. I don't need it all for my recipe. Can the restgo back in the freezer or would that make it unsafe?

asked by CanadaDan over 2 years ago

Garlic Fiend

It's fine to refreeze

Yep. I do it often. I have a weird little system now though. I keep my stock in freezer bags. When I need some, I run warm water over the bag. I pour off what I need as it defrosts. Then I toss the still mostly frozen amount back in the freezer. Works great.

CanadaDan

Weird? Or ingenious?...

Lol. According to my daughter, everything I do is weird.

I wouldn't refreeze without bringing the remainder to a boil. But I worked in commercial kitchens, where your techniques would not fly with the health department.

LE BEC FIN

if your freezer space is at a premium, consider cooking down your stock. I use this method:
https://food52.com/recipes...

CanadaDan

great suggestions all around...thanks guys