Electric Stove

We are moving to a new place. We are going from a gas stove to a flat top electric stove. I love cooking with gas! Any tips on this adjustment? Does anyone prefer electric stoves? Would I still be able to fry food well on an electric stove? Thanks!!!

mrslarkin May 12, 2014

I moved from gas to electric 17 yes ago. It's an adjustment, but you'll get used to it - just give it time.

My settings run from low to 10. I only use highest setting for boiling water. For pasta, I bring water to boil, add salt and pasta, then turn down to 7 or so until done.

Scottielew
Scottielew May 12, 2014

I agree...it's just something I need to get use to!

mrslarkin May 12, 2014

Oops I forgot. For shallow pan frying, just watch the heat, and move pan off the heatbif you need to. For deep frying, I use a candy thermometer.

Scottielew
Scottielew May 12, 2014

That's helpful! I need to find a candy thermometer. They usually do not fit in my cast iron skillets.

bigpan
bigpan May 12, 2014

One of two items in your kitchen are primarily a standard size - stove and dishwasher.
Knowing that, and assuming you cannot install a gasline, perhaps consider an induction top stove. You might need a lottery ticket because you have to also have specific pots and pans !
But, we all like new stuff, don't we.

Sam1148 May 12, 2014

I have a flat top stove. The one thing I can not stand is using a wok.

Get a table top burner, for using a wok. Most Asian stores will these for very cheap--with little canisters for 3 for 7bucks or so.
You probably should have one of these on hand for power outages and emergencies (or back yard picnics and shrimp boils).
Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-Table-Burner-Black/dp/B000G6S8Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399947179&sr=8-1&keywords=tabletop+gas+burner

But go to a Asian store and price out even cheaper ones and you need to purchase the canisters locally due to high shipping costs on shipping Butane stuff.

klrcon
klrcon May 13, 2014

I was forced into using electric a decade ago because of a move and it IS an adjustment but you get used to it. The biggest thing is to remember that if you have to lower the heat under a pan quickly you have to move the pan - if you just turn down the heat, it will take too long. I sometimes cook with two burners - one on high and one on a lower setting so I can move back and forth between the two as necessary. And you sort of learn to adjust the heat by raising and lowering the settings before you think you need to because of the time delay in heating/cooling. The thermometer helps a LOT. But you'll figure it out.
But to tell the truth - next move, I'm getting gas. I still much prefer it.

Scottielew
Scottielew May 13, 2014

Really good feedback from everyone!!! Thank you so much!!!

Maedl May 13, 2014

Kircon makes a good suggestion for using two burners. After too many boil-overs when I tried to cook rice, I discovered that the best method was to boil the water on one burner set to the max, add the rice, stir, allow to boil, and then cover and move the pan to another burner set on two. After I hear the water simmering, I turn the burner to the lowest setting and cook til done. This beats scrubbing the cooktop to clean up starchy water that boiled over.

I am used to the electric stove, but that doesn't mean I like it. I am always happy to return to gas.

SBMCW
SBMCW May 19, 2014

The issue between gas and electric is heat control. If you have a pan on an electric burner and turn the heat down, it is slow to react which can be a problem for delicate sauces and the like. In this case you should use two burners one at a high /medium and one at a lower temperature. Instead of turning down the heat for a rapid temperature drop, you move the pan to the second burner set at a lower temperature. This offers better heat control.