2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

Do water baths work effectively in fan forced oven?

I made a cheesecake-esque cake (no cream cheese, but same silky texture) which called for a water bath, using my oven set to Fan Bake. It didn't set even after much longer baking time, and I'm wondering if the water bath works best with the oven set to Bake.

asked by Cait over 2 years ago

I can only speak to baking custards in a still (non-convection oven), as that is where I bake them all. The water bath works perfectly there. I'm curious as to why yours didn't set after a longer bake time. The principal reason I don't like to bake custards in a convection oven is that the surface tends to develop a tough layer because of the circulating air. Try it again with the oven set to bake, and please let us know if you get a better result.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.