What is burrata

Voted the Best Reply!

valnsc
valnsc May 27, 2014

Burrata is a fresh Italian cheese, made from mozzarella and cream. The outer shell is solid mozzarella while the inside contains both mozzarella and cream, giving it an unusual, soft texture.

pierino May 27, 2014

Yes, it is similar to mozzarella. It's a fairly modern cheese with origins in Puglia, which dates back only to the 1950's. That's like yesterday in Italy. DON'T cook with it or you will ruin it.

thischickcancook.com

Burrata is my favorite of all mozzarella. It has a creamy inside and makes it an almost spreadable. Top a crostini with burrata, basil, salt and pepper, and olive oil and you will love it!

Jan Weber
Jan Weber May 28, 2014

Burrata is a pasta filata cheese, like mozzarella, but it is hollow and filled with a mixture of whey, cream, and stracciatella (basically long thin shreds of mozzarella curd). You can find it wrapped in leaves in Italy, but usually exports to the USA will be wrapped in plastic 'leaves' for practical purposes. It started being made commercially in the 1950s, but as with many things in Italy it was made on locally on a small scale long before that just as a 'good idea'.

Jan Weber
Jan Weber May 28, 2014

This is what stracciatella looks like...

Jan Weber
Jan Weber May 28, 2014

...and this is the inside of a typical burrata. As you can see, in addition to the stracciatella and cream, there's also quite a bit of liquid whey in there, but it lightens up the mix and makes it more refreshing.