Do you rinse scallops (before patting dry) before searing them?

asked by Betsy Babinecz over 4 years ago

I don't. they aren't dirty, so there's nothing to wash off. If you've opened their shells, they might need to have the coral wiped from them, but otherwise, you shouldn't need to do that. Just make sure you don't purchase scallops that are sitting in liquid. This generally means they've been treated with chemicals in the hopes of extending their shelf life. Imho, the only thing that does is make them taste like soap. Not what I'm looking for in a scallop.

Yes, rinse scallops if you know they were just cut out of their shells and not already "processed." A very quick rinse with a few good shakes in a strainer will get off most sand. Spray them again lightly with some water, shake again until you don't see sand in the sink.
Lay them in a single layer on a clean dish towel or two layers of papers towels.