can I make pastry cream using coconut cream?

I would like to substitute coconut cream for the usual half-and-half in pastry cream for a Boston Cream Pie to make a parve dessert. Will it thicken properly?

mstv

By coconut cream, do you mean the unsweetened product? If so, I have used that in pastry cream and it will thicken.

which do you recommend, the canned coconut milk, the small can of cream (which I can shake before opening) or the tetrapak refrigerated coconut milk. Either way I would use unsweetened.

mstv

If the recipe calls for half and half I would use canned coconut milk (full fat, not light) to approximate the half and half the best.

Thank you!