Pastry cream filling for pumpkin cream pie is runny

I think I may have goofed up when making the filling for Emma Laperreque's pumpkin cream pie recipe. I chilled the pumpkin pastry cream filling overnight but it's a bit too runny and has a bit of a cornstarchy taste and texture. I don't think there's any way to save it, but it's okay if I have to do it over. My thought is that I didn't cook my pastry cream long enough, but how will I know when it's thick enough?

1 Comment

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque November 21, 2018

Hi Lauren! It does sound like the pastry cream wasn't cooked long enough. If you decide to redo, here are a few extra notes to make sure it's thick enough: The pastry cream should produce a few bubbles (this high temperature activates the cornstarch and sets the egg yolks). If you have an instant-read thermometer, it should register ~200°F. Your whisk should leave a distinct trail. Hope this helps and good luck! Rooting for you.

Lauren Sadler
Lauren Sadler November 22, 2018

I did it! It turned out great and everyone loved it!