I have searched for a column on various spice rubs and must-have condiments. A go-to for weeknight cooking. Very all-purpose and international.

I would love to make spice jars of mixes that were ready to go! If I mixed them myself, I would learn more about the ingredients, and If they were pre-prepped, I would use them daily. A break down of ethnicity and opportunity for use would be brilliant! Thanks for your wonderful website! I made my first purchase the other day for condiments, spreads etc. Loving it!

Voted the Best Reply!

Nancy June 12, 2014

Look at Mark Bittman article, "10 spice blends to enliven any dish" april 30, 2014 in NYT

Debora Oden
Debora Oden June 12, 2014

The Bittman article was just what I was after! Thanks so much Nancy!

Susan W June 12, 2014

I love Mike Mills Magic Dust. I have it in a shaker next to my stove. I can't seem to paste the url, but if you Google "Magic Dust recipe", it pulls right up.

Debora Oden
Debora Oden June 12, 2014

I'll try it! Thanks!

Pegeen June 12, 2014

In case this helps: Ten Essential Spices
https://food52.com/blog...

Meaghan F
Meaghan F June 13, 2014

If your main interest is learning how to make spice rubs and learning the different properties of herbs & spices, consider Googling Lior Lev Sercarz. He owns a highly regarded spice shop in NY and wrote a book recently, so there are tons of good interviews and articles with his tips and tricks. I've heard good things about his book too but I haven't bought it yet. Please consider posting any good mixes you come up with though!

Jennifer
Jennifer June 13, 2014

Debora, here's a spice blend that we use a couple times a month on chicken, fish and shrimp. It's really delicious. Let me know if you try it.
http://kitchenserf.com/garlic-lime-chicken/