Apple-cranberry pie recipe (from Cooks Illustrated) calls for pre-cooking apples in the microwave. I don't have one! How should I pre-cook them?

They want you to mix the apples with the sugar and spices, then cook in the microwave on high for 10-14 minutes, stirring every few minutes. I was going to cook mine in a dutch oven instead, then I read that you could just pour boiling water on the apples and let them sit for 10 minutes. What would you do?

• Posted by: shayna
  • November 25, 2015

Leslie Stephens
Leslie Stephens November 25, 2015

You could use a dutch oven, certainly! It will just take much longer than the 10 to 14 minutes—it may take as long as 45 minutes depending on how many apples there are, so just plan accordingly!

Kristen Miglore November 25, 2015

I think the water would sap out some of their flavor -- I'd go with Dutch oven! Do they say what texture you want the apples to get to?

Caroline Lange
Caroline Lange November 25, 2015

you can cook them in a pan on your stovetop! add the same ingredients as the recipe calls you to, place them in a saucepan over med-low heat, and stir often, until they're starting to turn soft and glossy!

Ali Slagle
Ali Slagle November 25, 2015

Do you add water to the mixture before microwaving? If not, I'd do it on the stove. I worry pouring water over the mixture will add too much liquid to your filling.