I'm cooking a 19lb. leg of pork for Christmas Eve. Do you have any suggestions for preparing the pork? Thanks!

asked by xnowledge over 7 years ago

One word. Port. I made a rather large pork leg last Christmas, using the recipe posted by my sister, SallyCan. It was so good. Very simple, but delicious. Allowed the flavor of the pork to take center stage. We loved it, and the leftovers. ;o)

casa-giardino

Rub pork leg with salt and pepper, fennel seeds (fennel powder is better), several squashed garlic cloves with skin on tucked into the meat and roast. The attached photo is not of a leg but a shoulder deboned.

I'm completely with casa_giardino on the fennel component. And even better than fennel powder is fennel pollen. It's expensive and somewhat hard to find but it's the pork bomb. Surfas in Culver City, CA sells it under their own lable, but you can order from them on line. Meanwhile here's my own porchetta http://www.food52.com/recipes... which uses picnic shoulder but can be converted to a big fat leg. Think fennel!

xnowledge

Thank you for your suggestions and I will let you all know how it comes out.