🔕 🔔

I'm cooking a 19lb. leg of pork for Christmas Eve. Do you have any suggestions for preparing the pork? Thanks!

asked by xnowledge almost 7 years ago

One word. Port. I made a rather large pork leg last Christmas, using the recipe posted by my sister, SallyCan. It was so good. Very simple, but delicious. Allowed the flavor of the pork to take center stage. We loved it, and the leftovers. ;o)

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

Rub pork leg with salt and pepper, fennel seeds (fennel powder is better), several squashed garlic cloves with skin on tucked into the meat and roast. The attached photo is not of a leg but a shoulder deboned.

B08f2674 4f7a 4bf2 801d 68cb2df3ca92  porchetta fried peppers 005

I'm completely with casa_giardino on the fennel component. And even better than fennel powder is fennel pollen. It's expensive and somewhat hard to find but it's the pork bomb. Surfas in Culver City, CA sells it under their own lable, but you can order from them on line. Meanwhile here's my own porchetta http://www.food52.com/recipes... which uses picnic shoulder but can be converted to a big fat leg. Think fennel!

32d110e6 ac88 4559 9a30 e77aaca13fc5  heidi surprised 2010

Thank you for your suggestions and I will let you all know how it comes out.