How would a mole inspired seasoning, designed for pork, work on lamb?

I'd planned grilling pork shoulder for tacos, then realized a guest doesn't eat pork, so I'm subbing in butterflied leg of lamb. I'd intended to rub the pork with Sally Schneider's Mole Inspired Seasoning from the Improvisational Cook: ancho chili powder, dark brown sugar, cinnamon cocoa, cumin, oregano. I already have a batch made up, but I'm not sure how this would taste on lamb, which seems gamier and less sweet than pork, to me. Thoughts?

asked by BadgerBakery over 7 years ago

Might be better with pork, but it should certainly work. Think of all the lamb curries and tagine there are -- a mole doesn't seem so far afield.

usuba dashi

Sounds good to me . . go for it!

I think it sounds great!!! Go for it!

I think it sounds fantastic. Do it and tell us how it was. And hold that mint jelly!