Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Goose innards?

We are roasting two geese this week while camping, mmmm... fire roasted goose.

Since we are processing from live, I don't want to waste anything that can be eaten. Pate can be made from the liver, but what to do with the rest of the organs?

I'm going to mark this as urgent as I'll be leaving the internet tomorrow, so if you have any ideas, please let me know.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

dang, forgot to mark as urgent, can't edit it, so I guess it stays like this.
Thanks in advance for your help.

if you have a way to carry the remainder of the giblets home, you can use them for stock. I would just add them to the rest of the bones and giblets for chicken stock. the goosie parts will just make it a bit richer.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Oh, that's a good idea, making stock from them. No fridge, no cooler, and gone over a week, but a nice cookfire and staying in one place the whole time... I'll be making some sort of soup with the leftover goose, so I'll add the giblets to the bone stock.

Any especially delicious recipes for goose liver? I just remembered if I want to make it, I have to grind it by hand...ie with a knife and cutting board. Maybe slice thin and fry with onions, then deglaze the pan with red wine and simmer down for sauce? Or is that only good for mammalian liver?

Personally, I don't care for the murky flavor innards give stock or soup. That could just be me. However, a pan sauce made with a small amount of stock from the neck and feet and the gizzard and/or
the heart diced up and used in the pan sauce would be amazing.

Your idea about the liver and onions (cooked in goose fat, of course) sounds amazing. Packing my tent now..I will bring dessert. ;0)

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Thank goodness you're bringing dessert, I didn't even think about it, too focused on the geese. Actually, I think I'll take a 'if you want dessert, make it yourself' stance this week. There are going to be so many savoury foods, who needs sweets? What with the geese, rabbits, mutton, lamb, salt cod... it's a medieval week.

Actually, I'm scouring the books for medieval recipes for geese offel. Not finding much yet, but maybe this recipe for chicken could be adapted.

I've never cooked heart before... anything special I should know? Any yucky bits to cut away?

Omg..a paleo person's (me) dream come true. I have to admit the only heart that I have cooked is from pastured chickens, but already trimmed up. I just sear them in really hot fat and devour them before anyone notices what I am doing. I do that with the gizzard too. I usually share the liver with my dog unless I am in the mood to save up a few to make chopped liver. Yum, by the way, but my recipe calls for a little mayo.

B1770440 ef2c 426f a2c3 1750a34e74a1  smaller headshot

If you are up for a Chinese aesthetic, look no further. Stir-fried goose intestines are delicious and crunchy, the heart and gizzard (and other variety meats) can be braised until tender with soy sauce, wine, and aromatics, and the feet are fantastic braised, too. Sichuan does these with lots of chili peppers and Sichuan peppercorns, but anything can be added, like ginger, garlic, bean sauce, and/or sugar. Let me know if you need detailed instructions.

B9464ce6 76f7 41db a563 e5ad504521bf  2016 04 05 23 37 37

By innards I am assuming heart, gizzards and if you are adventurous the tongue. You need to clean the gizzard by butterflying it and cleaning out the grit. That said I once had duck giblets skewers then painted with a fiery hot sauce as they sat above the glowing coals. If I understood Mandarin and could have gotten the pitnull that was growling to stop I might have been able to get more of the recipe. They were damn good though.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I'm not certain what innards are worth keeping with a goose - whatever looks good when it falls out while we clean it. I was thinking of keeping the gizzard, liver, heart and kidneys. Originally the intestines and lounge as well, but they are such a huge hassle to clean. then again, reading the above recipe idea for intestines... might be worth a try.
Good idea for the giblets. mmmm... spicy sauce and fire, sound good.

Thinly sliced hearts and liver lightly breaded, pan fried, and then simmered in a white wine reduction with delicious fresh greens on the side!

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

oh... best recipe so far.