Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Food for Camping?

I'm going camping in Acadia for a couple of days and am looking for some delicious but fairly simple recipes/ ideas for dinner to try! We'll have a propane two burner stove and plan to have a campfire as well. The more veggies the better as I tend to feel like a lack those when camping sometimes. Thanks in advance!

asked by Hallie over 1 year ago

There's a book my father used for inspiration -- Roughing it Easy -- and my favorites were biscuits baked in hollowed out onions. Use diy or storebought biscuit mix and halved onions. Wrap in foil and bake at the edge of the campfire (turn and check to make sure they cook evenly and don't burn); and gingerbread cooked in a Dutch oven with dollops of applesauce tossed into the barely set batter. I liked tofu scramble or burritos, loaded with vegetables and flavor.

if you camp a lot and don't know it, have a look at Simple Foods for the Pack (now in third edition) which gives you wonderful recipes and tricks for carrying, prepping, making real food when your kitchen is in the wild.
http://www.amazon.com/Simple...
and/or do the old trick of prepping at home a luxurious dinner (however you define it) and carrying it with you in a cooler or the like to cook first night. Add a bottle of something good to drink, a clear night, somehow, all is right with the world.
Simpler food for day 2 and after seems less onerous after a wonderful first night.

The last time I went camping, my donation to dinner were racks of Carolina Ribs. I cooked them in my slow cooker at home. Normally, I crisp them up on my grill before serving them. For camping, I cut them up, wrapped them in foil and we reheated them over the camp fire. Huge hit. Macaroni salad as a side (you could do a big marinated vegetable salad instead) and these or S'mores for dessert.
https://food52.com/recipes...

2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

I know it's a bit warm but making ahead any kind of stew/soup and freezing it is super easy just to throw on the burner and wait for it to thaw.

I braise sausages at home the day before I leave...that way they only need to be kissed by the flames a bit to warm/crisp them up and I have the peace of mind to know they are cooked all the way through. I also lightly saute zucchini rounds with crushed red pepper and oil at home, then put the zucchini in a foil pack with a lemon wedge to also be warmed over the campfire along side the sausage. Have fun camping! :)

Just made these last weekend to take camping and they were a hit. I swapped out cilantro for the parsley, frozen hash browns for the parboiled potatoes,added a couple kinds of cheese, and added some sweet smoked paprika to the sausage and eggs while I cooked them. Pulled them from the cooler and tossed them on a grill balanced on rocks over the fire for breakfast. Big hit with our group. Pro tip: put your foil-wrapped Campurritos in a well-sealed gallon ziploc or other sealed container. We lost a full bag of them because I didn't get a ziploc sealed and sloshy ice water Croat in.

http://www.ninthandbird...

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

My husband and I always take 2" T bones and a bottle of bourbon. But since you have the stove and a cast iron pan (yes?), you can always do sweet potato/onion fry up. Mix up some corn in there too and you've got a great and hearty meal. Sometimes we'll throw somecut up andoille sausage in the mixture too. And melted cheese. And cholula. And best of all, throw an egg on it in the moring and, ta-da, you've got breakfast. Oh and pack Via. Lots and lots of via.

Fb22ca40 7c8b 486c 8cce 3b47bd091743  hedgehog in the fog 2

Cook a bunch of potatoes in tin foil in the campfire the first night (or one of the nights), have some with whatever else you're having, then make home fries the next morning!

We made cheese grits for a group the last time we went camping. Fantastic with bacon and eggs but the grits pot is hard to clean if you don't have access to a sink for dishwashing at some point :)

Hearty greens will keep well and you can braise them down for a while in a pot. Swiss chard, kale, collard greens, etc.
Also root vegetables wrapped in foil with some oil, seasoning and a touch of water thrown directly on the coals works great for me every time. If they char a little bit, it kind of adds to the whole camping experience.

Fca4e46d 262a 416c 8ce5 316470249de2  565101 1406091363 1702312332 n

We also bring pre-cooked ribs. I usually do a dry rub overnight, bake for a few hours in a low oven, then cut into 2-3 rib pieces and cook over the fire with lots of saucy slather. We usually cook asparagus or a salad and bring a baguette that has been sliced in half and pre-spread with butter, herbs and cheese to bake in foil over the heat. My mom always brought pancake fixins in two containers- one dry, one wet with one container big enough to mix it all. And, naturally, they are best cooked up in the bacon fat! We also often will marinate some boneless chicken thighs to cook for dinner and will bring an herbed mayo to mix into leftovers for sandwiches the next day. I second the sweet potato/onion idea too- goes great with any grilled protein. You can also bring some precooked grains that will mix up nicely with a fresh herb dressing. And bring cut up fruit and dried fruit for snacking.