A question about a recipe: Gabrielle Hamilton's Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

04410021 6d88 4c1c a572 90b64fdbdd4d  14605065792 bed3381877 b

I have a question about the recipe "Gabrielle Hamilton's Grilled Cheese Sandwiches" from Genius Recipes. Does the mayo flavor come through at all? I hate mayo but love the idea of using it this way.

asked by Hemz7781 over 4 years ago

You will not taste the mayo once it's cooked. The mayo will add an extra richness that is hard to describe. This griddling technique with mayo is something I sometimes do with my hamburger buns and it makes one killer burger.

PazzoNico

I hate mayo, too. But this does work and the mayo flavor is muted. If you think of it in terms of the ingredients of the mayo (oil, eggs, yolks, water, etc.), it makes more sense. Essentially, it's like a light batter on the bread that slightly cooks and forms a crust on the outside. The oil and eggs promote browning.