Bitter kale

Got fresh kale from superstore on Saturday unfortunately when I tasted it this morning it was bitter I have no idea why. Please does anyone one know .

asked by rasheedat about 4 years ago

A couple of ideas come to mind. First of all, your kale may be a bit on the old end of the scale. Second, and I have to admit that I am a latecomer to the kale party, the first time I read that kale needed to be massaged, literally, I thought, "Yeah, riiiiiiight. I'm going to get massaged long before my kale will be." But honestly, removing the stems, chopping the leaves, then rubbing them between your fingers creates a wonderful change. By massaging kale, enzymes are released which begin to break down the natural bitter compounds in it. So massage it, and please let us know if you find a difference in its taste and texture.

Laughing about you getting massaged before the kale.

Just heard a story on NPR about plants that *know* when insects have attacked them and change their growing behavior accordingly. Who said plants don't think? (And I would like to be massaged - maybe not with vinaigrette - too.)

Yes, I'll skip the vinaigrette, too, Pegeen!

mainecook61

Another possibility: kale is a cool, even cold weather crop. That's when it flourishes and tastes best. Asking for kale in July is a bit like demanding tomatoes in January. Someone will surely grow these things out of season, if the people demand them, but they might not taste very good.

I grow lacinto kale in my summer garden and although the flavor is stronger, it is wonderful. And I agree with Cynthia about the importance of removing stems, chopping leaves and massage.

Kale--the standard, curly kale--needs frost to get sweeter. It is definitely a cold weather crop--the kind of thing you eat when there aren't many other fresh vegetables around.

rasheedat

I did massage my kale and removed the stem with olive oil to be honest the taste was
Different the texture was on unbelievable but a lil bitter thou but probably it is old already. Thank you