🔕 🔔

Looking for some quick help on applesauce. It's my girlfriend's birthday, and it's what she wants for dessert - some good, hot homemade applesauce. I've just never made it before is all. Can somebody give me a quick run through of the general process? Just want to make extra sure I'm doing it well because it's a special request and I've never done it. Thanks.

asked by Jon Palmer almost 6 years ago

Peel, core and chop her favorite apples, toss them with a tsp of lemon juicd and up to 1/4 cup of water in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally. The apple will render some juice and soften so you can mash them with a potato masher for a course sauce or puree for a fine sauce. Serve with scones and some cinnamon sugar (and nutmeg, if desired) to sprinkle over it

Assuming it's going to be served warm or room temperature, stir in a small knob of unsalted butter! Or perhaps just a touch of creme fraiche. Mmmm. What a lovely gift. ;o)

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

For some people (like me), it's extra special when the homemade applesauce still has some soft apple chunks left in it and it isn't completely cooked down to all mush like the store-bought stuff. When I make it, I mash the apples with a spoon only, so it leaves the texture varied and interesting. A teaspoon of brown sugar added at the end will make it sweeter, more like a dessert. Chopped fresh ginger (about 1/4 inch) added at the beginning of cooking gives it an interesting spicy dimension. Nutmeg or allspice are also good additions. Have fun! Applesauce is one of those magical dishes that is almost impossible to mess up, provided you keep an eye on it and don't let it burn.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Mmmm...I love warm homemade applesauce! These are all great ideas. Definitely keep an eye on it, once it starts to cook, so the bottom of the pot doesn't burn. Turn the heat down if you need to.

I don't add much to my apple sauce. I peel, core, chop the apples. Toss them with lemon juice. Stick them in the pot with a few spoonfuls of water. Maybe a cinnamon stick if I'm in the mood, and a touch of nutmeg.

And definitely dollop some sour cream or creme fraiche on top. That is the BEST!

Good luck!

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I think a splash of red wine and some brown sugar in there wouldn't be a bad thing ... but then, I am a wino :-)

II'm totally with aargersi on the splash of red wine . . . just enough to add some acidity and some (unrecognizable) background flavor. I wouldn't put lemon in, by the way. I just don't like the way the two flavors taste when combined. If I need citrus or a sweeter acidity, I add orange. Even when making sweet treats, where acidulated water is necessary, I use a good organic apple cider vinegar, and not lemon juice. Just my $.03 worth. ;o)

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

In my kitchen, sugar and peeling the apples is optional -- depending on what kind of apple you use. I'd cook the apples, then taste, before adding sweetener or acid to it. If there's a food mill in the house, you don't even have to take the core out -- just turn the handle. And the warnings not to let it burn: it can cook very quickly! An old favorite: use orange juice concentrate instead of water... but thinking about the request, I'd assume she wants the basic applesauce. Hmm, you've probably finished the birthday dinner already!

Thanks for the suggestions all. Here's what I did:

I peeled and roughly diced the apples, tossing them in lemon juice to prevent oxidation. I then put them in a roasting pan.

On the stove, I put two cups of good apple cider, one cup brown sugar, two star anise, two cinnamon sticks, a clove, and five allspice berries, along with an aggressive splash of rum, into a pan and reduced it slightly.

I then poured the liquid over the apples and roasted them for about 45 minutes.

Then I took the apples out of the pan, transferring to another pan to be mashed. I reserved the excess liquid and reduced it by a half or maybe even two thirds.

I used a whisk to very roughly mash the apples, still good and chunky, spicy and sweet. Great served hot with a little softly-whipped cream.

But there's a bonus! By the time the liquid reduction had cooled, the pectin content had turned it into a sweet, warm-spiced jam! What a delicious byproduct!

Jon that sounbds wonderful! You ought to officially post the recipe here so we will all remember what you did and try it ourselves!

What I do is just get one of every kind of apple you can get your hands on - seed them cut in chunks and leave skin on) add a very little water, a good size cinnamon stick a dab of butter cover and cook on a low heat. Stir once in a while. If you want it chunky dont stir often, if on the other hand you want it smoother stir and crush as you go.

I love this and it is sooo easy. and very delicious!
Arzee