I picked up pizza dough from my local pizza place. I can not get it stretched out.

I cut the dough in half and left it covered in my kitchen. I could not get it rolled out more than 4 inches across. . The dough kept bouncing back. I ended up with 2 rather very tasty pizzas that were about 5 inches high!!!!! Any tricks or tips???? Thanks!!!!!

asked by bamcnamara almost 4 years ago

It sounds to me like it just needed more time to come to room temp. Cold dough just doesn't stretch. I always let my dough proof overnight in the fridge. Then I take it out, place on floured surface, pat into a disk, cover with a tea towel and let it rest for an hour. If I am stretching it and it's still springing back, I walk away for 5-10 minutes and it's fine.

Sounds like the gluten needs to relax in between stretching. Let the dough come to room temperature. Cold bread dough is very hard to stretch. Stretch the dough as much as you can, then let it rest for about 5-10 minutes. Then stretch some more and let it rest. Repeat as needed. You will find that the repeated stretch and rest will allow the dough to stretch to the thickness that you want and remain there without bouncing back.

mary dufresne

let it rest for 30 or more min