Ideas for using béchamel beyond lasagna?

I made a pint of béchamel and froze it - now thinking of ways to use it beyond the usual (yet always delicious) lasagna? Thanks!

• Posted by: JuliaB
  • July 28, 2014

HalfPint July 28, 2014

Make crepes and fill with cooked chicken, bechamel, and some fresh herbs (eg. tarragon). Warm in the oven and serve with a green salad.

Valentina Solfrini
Valentina Solfrini July 28, 2014

If you are doing some sort of stuffing, adding some to it makes it moister and softer (especially if it's a meat stuffing) Or, you can mix it with sauces for gratins. You can also make a mushroom or vegetable pasta casserole - or for anything that goes in the oven and needs to be moister!

irina
irina July 28, 2014

mac n cheese! Moussaka. Lot's of uses.

JuliaB
JuliaB July 28, 2014

Great ideas - thank you! HalfPint, you reminded me with your crepe filling suggestion that I've wanted to make croquettes for a while now using leftover chicken/ham/salmon, so this is perfect!

ChefJune July 28, 2014

Bechamel is not always part of lasagne. I ws so surprised to see that as your frame of reference for it! Bechamel is one of the "mother sauces" of French cuisine. It is used for so many things, and is the starting point for many other sauces. Mac and cheese certainly comes to mind as a place where bechamel is essential. I really suggest you explore a book like Julia Child's classic "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." That book is an education in itself! and fwiw, in Italy, Bechamel is called by its Italian name, Balsamella.

Tasha
Tasha July 28, 2014

Fish!

Marti Kennedy
Marti Kennedy July 28, 2014

Mac and Cheese.

matthewcarberry
matthewcarberry July 28, 2014

Reheat the béchamel in a saucepan or saucier, and put some sausage in and a lot of black pepper. You now have sawmill gravy which will go perfectly on those biscuits you just made. You did remember to make biscuits, didn't you?

davidpdx
davidpdx July 28, 2014

Soufflés!

lem monade
lem monade July 29, 2014

Any kind of vegetables au gratin, i.e. (parboiled) veggies covered with béchamel and put into a hot oven until bubbly and very slightly coloured. I especially love this with potatoes, asparagus, leeks, (belgian) endive wrapped in ham,… you can mix this up with all kinds of herbs or cheese, too. It’s not a super summery dish, but oh so delicious!

Debra
Debra July 30, 2014

monte cristo sandwiches!!!