A question about a recipe: Make Your Own Avocado Caesar

36bec017 8f23 4c15 a8d5 87bcd5f55939  food52 09 25 12 8956

I have a question about the recipe "Make Your Own Avocado Caesar" from inpatskitchen. hat is a good substitute dijon mustard?

asked by Anitac over 4 years ago

You could use any other good mustard... Pommery, Dusseldorf...

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Hi Anitac! If you don't have Dijon or even a spicy brown mustard, I would just skip it.

What Pat said. It only calls for 1 tsp, so skipping would be fine. You could add a tsp of mustard powder if you have some for that certain "something" that mustard has.

Brady Klopfer

If your problem is that you don't like mustard, then just skip it. But if your problem is not having dijon, I would substitute any other non-yellow mustard, as the main purpose of mustard in a salad dressing is not for flavor, but for emulsion.

A classic Caesar salad, the Caesar Cardini original form, had no mustard. You might go that route. Just for example, here's a Julia Child recipe. http://www.epicurious.com... She actually ate at Caesar Cardini's.

If you think you'd like to learn a classic vinaigrette, I'd suggest embracing Dijon. Most of the substitutions are too sweet.