🔕 🔔

I'm making an Italian fruit "mustard" and adapting a recipe that calls for 1/4 cup Dijon mustard. I'd like to substitute a mustard paste I'd make using whole mustard seeds that have been soaked in white wine, then blended. What are the right proportions of wine to mustard seeds to achieve about the same consistency as standard Dijon-style mustards? Thank you! ;o)

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Are we talking "mostarda" here? It's really more a pickled condiment than a mustard as such, mostarda di cremona being the classic. I've made one using a simple syrup and citrus peels (agrumi) and powdered Coleman's dry mustard.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

this looks like a good jumping-off point: I'd probably start with less liquid, then add to get what you want as far as consistency is concerned. http://simplegoodandtasty...

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Sara and I made mustard - we eyeballed it by putting the mustard powder in a bowl then adding vinegar and wine and stirring until it looked right then adding mustard seed and horse radish- also it thickens up after a couple days so bear that in mind. I also made a plum / orange / lemon / grape mostarda a few weeks ago that came out GREAT. I canned a bunch. Did I write the recipe down? Of COURSE not, but I basically pulled what looked best from several recipes and then used all of the fruit odds and ends in the fridge.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

I usually just make my mustard concoctions by adding ingredients to taste. Although have something to rinse your palate and try on pieces of bread as this could ruin your palate for the rest of the day if not careful. Sounds good though. Have fun!