🔕 🔔

I have a bumper crop of lemon balm. What should I do with it?

Looking for fresh ideas other than iced tea and pesto. Thanks!

asked by Nina Lombardo almost 3 years ago

I usually have lemon balm as part of a Vietnamese salad plate in which there would be lettuce leaves, fresh herbs (like mint, basil, cilantro), slice cucumbers, and maybe cooked rice vermicelli. You just take the herb leaves, some cukes, noodles, & any grilled meats, wrap it all up in a lettuce leaf and dip into nuoc cham or a peanut sauce.

I also add a few leaves to bun rieu cau, http://amandare.wordpress...

Also, cocktails, http://cocktails.about...

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

Make some infused simple syrup, it's versatile and will keep forever.

7be9269b 4bd3 4776 a58a 1796fcfd4f04  2016 03 22 12 44 46

make lemon balm sugar by roughly chopping and then grinding down the leaves and sugar with mortar and pestle. the sugar will soak up essential oils and preserve their fragrance: sprinkle it on any fruit platter (I especially love it with strawberries) to elevate it, or use it in desserts like panna cotta to give them an unusual flavour.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Make up a recipe and print it out. Could be anything from ice tea to pesto. Bag that up and take it to your local fire station with all the other ingredients for them to use.

Limoncello would be awesome with lemon balm. Just add a huge handful in along with the lemon peels during the infusion stage.

Sorbet/gelato/ice cream.

I would also make an infused oil to use for..anything; drizzle on fish or chicken, vinaigrettes/aioli, finishing a pasta dish, etc.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Lemon balm makes a delicious liqueur.

And here are some more ideas in a great write-up from the Herb Society of America:
http://www.herbsociety...

F7ea5aff 4c02 43dd 835f 164969b072a8  yo face

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas...I'm off to my garden and then into my kitchen!

I have too much lemon balm this year as well. & just came across a recipe for lemon balm jelly, basically a mint jelly that substitutes lemon balm.