🔕 🔔

Any ideas to incorporate some basil pesto and/or roasted tomato pesto in a bread/flatbread/bagel?

Dang, I didn't add tags, so my pickle didn't post. I have some short dated fresh stuff I got for cheap. I still can freeze it. I just didn't have enough time to look into this and I haven't made anything savory except plain breads.I do need to make a batch of bagels for a friend now or tomorrow.

asked by nutcakes over 6 years ago

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

Any sort of focaccia is delicious with pesto schmeared on top! Its basically just a cheeseless pizza, covered ith pest or even just with olive oil, salt and resemary elaves in stead of tomato and mozzarella.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

This is my family's favorite sandwich.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Take your bread dough, roll it out into a rectangle, spread with pesto, and roll tightly into a loaf. Then let it rise and bake as usual. You get a lovely spiral. I have done something similar from The New York Times Cook Book (Craig Claiborne). Probably would work with bagel dough, worth experimenting. I don't know if it would leach out while boiling -- maybe just a line down the middle of the dough, sealed in before shaping the rings.
Lovely dilemma to be in!

The best way to incorporate it into bagel dough is to just knead it right in at the end of the kneading period. Sounds wonderful, by the way, your convenient embarrassment of riches.

This past week the LA Times "Master Class" featured Nancy Silverton, the undisputed Queen of Dough, specifically on the subject of foccaccia http://www.latimes.com... Her pizzas at Mozza are best I've tasted in the US.