Homemade Vanilla

I want to make homemade vanilla for friends and family for Christmas. My question is: do you leave the vanilla pod in the vodka indefinitely? I hope so, but just want to check to be sure.

asked about 4 years ago

Jenny Maria

I would leave it in

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Susan W - Yes! I've been making homemade vanilla for years and I leave the pods in the vodka. One tip, slit the pods down the middle and scrape the seeds into the vodka. Homemade vanilla makes a lovely Christmas gift.

Perfect. That's exactly what I planned on doing. Would you say 3 pods per 2 cups vodka is sufficient?

Also..do you agree that there's no need to use good vodka? As in rot gut is just fine or would you suggest middle of the road vodka?

Assonta Wagner

I've been looking into this for a while and my research says to use one that is at least "middle of the road" if not better. At least one you would drink comfortably. That way you wont have the harsh cheap alcohol smell/taste when done.

Thank you. That is exactly what I planned to do.

strawberrygirl

I did this last year and it was a big hit. Leaving the vanilla bean in is fine, as long as it's completely submerged in the alcohol. Most recipes I've seen suggest using at least 3-5 beans per 8oz of alcohol. It's good to split the pods lengthwise but not necessary to scrape out the seeds. You can also use rum, bourbon or brandy instead of vodka.

I wonder if the recipients need to remove the pod as it emerges with use.

mom looking for ideas

I learned from Ina Garten that you take a good vodka and soak 4-5 beans and keep them in there indefinitely. It will take one month to flavor the vodka and turn into an extract. You should turn the bottle upside down and right side up a couple times a week. It's yummy one month later.

Lol on the good vodka. She always says "good" whatever ingredient. I have the cute bottles and pods. Just need to go get the vodka.

Amy
Amy

I am a baker and I regularly place my "used" pods (the ones that I have scraped clean for other things) into my vodka jar. I shake it now and then, and use what I need...adding more vodka as necessary. Then, as it gets fuller, scoop older pieces out and put newer ones in. I think that you could probably do this forever and have wonderful luck!

Great idea to replenish. I will put that on the gift tag.

I just made some. I had some seriously dead vanilla beans that a predecessor had stuffed into a jar of sugar guaranteed to suck every last drop of moisture out of them. Rather than throw them away, and believe me, I was both mad and tempted, I carved them open and stuck them (about 2 dozen) into a bottle of vodka. That was about 2 weeks ago. I've shaken them every 2 or 3 days, and they've now taken on both the deep color and even deeper flavor of commercial vanilla extract. I'm going to strain the solution through a sieve lined with a few layers of cheesecloth to extract the solids and floating stuff, then save it in bottles. Your idea of giving them as gifts is so lovely. And in your case, the idea of including a vanilla bean in the bottle is wonderful. What a great idea. Thank you.

I wonder if my beans will fall apart like yours? I am going to split them open to release the seeds. Maybe I will make it in the big bottles of vodka and strain it if they fall apart. In my mind, the seeds will be visible, but I don't want other floaty stuff.

Last year, everyone received homemade ghee in cute squaty Fido jars. :0)

Adianne

I have always wanted to try this. Now I am inspired to do this for gifts for my baking friends. Does anyone have a good on-line source for purchasing the vanilla beans?

strawberrygirl

I've ordered from Beanilla before. They have a good selection and the beans were high quality.
http://www.beanilla.com

I have been looking on amazon. Lots of choices, but make sure you read the reviews.

I just looked at Beanilla. They have Madagascar beans on sale with free shipping. My mom just added her friends to my list, so I am going to order their beans since strawberrygirl has tried them.