🔕 🔔

Vanilla Beans

I'd like to make homemade vanilla extract to give out as a gift for the holidays. What is a good online resource to purchase good quality, not too expensive beans to make extract? I'd like to get about 1 oz (10-15 beans?), since I'm only making a little bit.

asked by Ali Worthalter 11 months ago

Beanilla is an awesome resource. I ordered from them last year. Amazon also has a big selection. In fact, I think I ended up buying beanilla through Amazon because they had the perfect amount.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I find Penzeys has excellent quality stock. If you're making vanilla and would like a cheaper option you might consider Amazon. I'd suggest reading the pros and cons of each type of vanilla bean based on customer reviews of various products. Here's the link to Penzeys:
https://www.penzeys.com...

5fcfb7ff c208 4ae8 bc4e 1511d0ae330f  martini

I've been buying from VanillaProductsUSA.com for years. Their prices are the best I've found, and quality is great. They have several assortment packs that let you try the different varieties.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Costco has a halfway decent product. They sell in vials - 5 or 6 beans to a vial.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Ditto Costco. The vanilla beans I got there were equal in quality to far more costly ones I've purchased before.

Thanks! I might end up using VanillaProductsUSA, they have very high reviews and prices are reasonable

While vanilla beans are expensive, they can last a long time (up to 2 years) air-tight at room temp. Consider estimating how many you would use for this extract project, other home uses, other gifts over say 1-2 years and buy all of them at once...if it's worth it to you.