Vanilla Beans

I'd like to make homemade vanilla extract to give out as a gift for the holidays. What is a good online resource to purchase good quality, not too expensive beans to make extract? I'd like to get about 1 oz (10-15 beans?), since I'm only making a little bit.

asked by Ali Worthalter almost 2 years ago

Beanilla is an awesome resource. I ordered from them last year. Amazon also has a big selection. In fact, I think I ended up buying beanilla through Amazon because they had the perfect amount.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I find Penzeys has excellent quality stock. If you're making vanilla and would like a cheaper option you might consider Amazon. I'd suggest reading the pros and cons of each type of vanilla bean based on customer reviews of various products. Here's the link to Penzeys:
https://www.penzeys.com...

SilverSage

I've been buying from VanillaProductsUSA.com for years. Their prices are the best I've found, and quality is great. They have several assortment packs that let you try the different varieties.

Bevi

Costco has a halfway decent product. They sell in vials - 5 or 6 beans to a vial.

Ditto Costco. The vanilla beans I got there were equal in quality to far more costly ones I've purchased before.

Ali Worthalter

Thanks! I might end up using VanillaProductsUSA, they have very high reviews and prices are reasonable

While vanilla beans are expensive, they can last a long time (up to 2 years) air-tight at room temp. Consider estimating how many you would use for this extract project, other home uses, other gifts over say 1-2 years and buy all of them at once...if it's worth it to you.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks