Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Aluminum Pans

I used a large sheet pan to roast tomatoes and then "cooled it off" all day in same pan...i think it's aluminum...Any known danger to this or ok to use roasted tomatoes. I threw away the liquid for good measure :). Thanks for your responses!

asked by SallyM over 2 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Well, first, are you sure it's aluminum? It might not be. There is some controversy as to whether we should be ingesting aluminum, and the acid in the tomatoes could leach into the aluminum and cause the tomatoes to absorb it. I really think this is one of those issues about which you have to decide your own comfort level. If you believe the research that aluminum is linked to Alzheimer's disease, then you should probably throw them (and the aluminum pan) away. If not, and they taste ok, then not. I don't think the science is clear, and it's not like food poisoning-- if something bad we're going to happen, it wouldn't be immediate. I hope this helps you.

Thanks drbabs. I'm not positive it's aluminum. It's one of the standard 1/2 sheet pans...

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

One other concern about cooking acidic foods like tomatoes in aluminum pans is the possibility the tomatoes will take on a metallic taste. I think drbabs is right, most sheet pans are not aluminum. I've been roasting tomatoes on mine forever. I do use parchment, just because it is easier to clean. If you're worried, you could just do that!

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

I don't have an answer, I have a question. I have 7 half sheet pans from the restaurant supply store. If they're not aluminum, what do you think they are ?

They're almost certainly aluminum; most sheet pans are. Stainless steel ones are available, but they cost several times more than their aluminum counterparts. If you paid less than $25 for a half-sheet pan, it's probably aluminum.

It easy to tell what you've got: put a magnet against the pan. If there's no attraction, it's aluminum.

So then what? As drbabs points out, as of now there's no clearly demonstrated link between dietary intake of aluminum and Alzheimer's disease. If you're worried, switch to stainless steel or use parchment or some other coating when cooking acidic foods on aluminum sheet pans.

As for me, I'll continue to use my aluminum cooking products until there's a clear, empirically demonstrated reason not to.

MrsWheelbarrow

I think they are steel.

SFMiller, thanks for the magnet tip, mine are aluminum, it's not something that concerns me, I was just curious.