Aluminum Pans

I used a large sheet pan to roast tomatoes and then "cooled it off" all day in same pan...i think it's aluminum...Any known danger to this or ok to use roasted tomatoes. I threw away the liquid for good measure :). Thanks for your responses!

• Posted by: SallyM
  • September 1, 2014

drbabs September 1, 2014

Well, first, are you sure it's aluminum? It might not be. There is some controversy as to whether we should be ingesting aluminum, and the acid in the tomatoes could leach into the aluminum and cause the tomatoes to absorb it. I really think this is one of those issues about which you have to decide your own comfort level. If you believe the research that aluminum is linked to Alzheimer's disease, then you should probably throw them (and the aluminum pan) away. If not, and they taste ok, then not. I don't think the science is clear, and it's not like food poisoning-- if something bad we're going to happen, it wouldn't be immediate. I hope this helps you.

SallyM
SallyM September 1, 2014

Thanks drbabs. I'm not positive it's aluminum. It's one of the standard 1/2 sheet pans...

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow September 1, 2014

One other concern about cooking acidic foods like tomatoes in aluminum pans is the possibility the tomatoes will take on a metallic taste. I think drbabs is right, most sheet pans are not aluminum. I've been roasting tomatoes on mine forever. I do use parchment, just because it is easier to clean. If you're worried, you could just do that!

Dona
Dona September 1, 2014

I don't have an answer, I have a question. I have 7 half sheet pans from the restaurant supply store. If they're not aluminum, what do you think they are ?

sfmiller
sfmiller September 1, 2014

They're almost certainly aluminum; most sheet pans are. Stainless steel ones are available, but they cost several times more than their aluminum counterparts. If you paid less than $25 for a half-sheet pan, it's probably aluminum.

It easy to tell what you've got: put a magnet against the pan. If there's no attraction, it's aluminum.

So then what? As drbabs points out, as of now there's no clearly demonstrated link between dietary intake of aluminum and Alzheimer's disease. If you're worried, switch to stainless steel or use parchment or some other coating when cooking acidic foods on aluminum sheet pans.

As for me, I'll continue to use my aluminum cooking products until there's a clear, empirically demonstrated reason not to.

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow September 1, 2014

I think they are steel.

Dona
Dona September 1, 2014

SFMiller, thanks for the magnet tip, mine are aluminum, it's not something that concerns me, I was just curious.