what temperature to cook black licorice

I want to make the black licorice in this recipe: https://food52.com/recipes.... It says to cook to 240°, yet the recipe in Saveur (http://www.saveur.com/article...) from which this one was adapted, says to cook to 265°F. Any idea which might be right? Has any hotliner made this recipe yet?

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

asked almost 4 years ago

Tasha

Ew! How about no temperature!

Mrs. WB, I wondered that as well. I looked at the comments in the Saveur recipe. Lots of people questioned why they had the temp up to 265° when it's for a chewy candy. Maybe DFT noticed that and lowered the temp to 240°. I love chewy licorice, so I am going to go with 240°. First, I am going to look at other licorice recipes. :)

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

I just made the recipe and took the mixture to 260°F. It's perfect.

Has it completely cooled? Will you need to microwave it like instructed in the magazine version?

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

I chilled it in the 'fridge for 30 minutes then cut, formed (twirled ropes!) and chilled another 20 minutes. It looks adorable and tastes perfect. I'm not sure what type of food coloring was used, but I had "vibrant" food paste color and did not need anything like 1-1/2 teaspoons.

It looks sooo cute. I love the way you made different shapes. Licorice is my guilty pleasure.

LevishRob

You can continue cooking the black licorice until the temperature on the candy thermometer reaches 255º F