🔕 🔔

A question about bean burgers

I like to cook both falafel and bean burgers (mostly black bean). When I make falafel, I only soak the chickpeas, then blend in a food processor. All the recipes for black bean burgers that I have found, on the other hand, have you fully cook the beans and then turn them into patties with various mix-ins.

It seems, to me, that one could theoretically just soak the black beans and then turn into patties as one would do with the soaked garbanzo beans - it's all kind of the same concept, right? But I have never seen a recipe utilizing that method with black beans. Obviously the texture would change, but has anyone experimented with this?

asked by kimmey about 5 years ago

I haven't tried the no-cook method with black beans. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that you have had success doing that with garbanzos! I always opt for canned, but when I do use dried beans, I soak and cook them because I want to eliminate the digestive upset that comes with not cooking them. My two-cents for what its worth. Keep us posted because now I'm curious!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I've used fresh black eyed peas for patties. However, with canned products you'll probably face an issue with them 'exploding' in the mix---adding more flour or a binder to prevent that falling apart.

Using dried beans...soaking and grinding would be way to go. Try it. Beans are cheap and you'll learn some techniques there.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

This falafel recipe has a conversation of soaked vs cooked:
Good insight about the black (or other) beans -- I'm going to try it!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

It sounds like you like to keep it simple. Mix-ins are usually for flavor, but you could blend half the beans and leave the others whole if you want to just use beans. That way, you get both the binder and the hearty burger texture.

I know this is an old thread but I would be curious if anyone is making bean burgers with soaked beans rather than cooked or canned beans. We did falafels using soaked chick peas and LOVED them. The texture was so much better than canned or cooked.

I have an answer for this now. The burgers were delicious, stuck together nicely on the grill, and had fabulous texture. We're both, now, regretting consuming undercooked beans (navy and black) as we have indigestion and other uncomfortable GI symptoms. I just looked this up a bit more and it would appear that beans contain a toxin, lectin, that cooks out in the normal cooking process. http://en.wikipedia.org...