Break fast ideas

Looking for a good idea for a make-ahead dish for the Yom Kippur break fast. It's technically dinner but it could be anything as long as there's no meat...looking for something a little more interesting than the lasagna and baked french toast that's usually there.
ideas?

asked by CanadaDan about 4 years ago

Stephanie G

How about a yeasted coffee cake with late summer plums?

Shakshuka, Frittatas, Bagels and spreads, Vegetable & Grain soups, rice dishes, kugels galore... Do you follow Sephardic, Ashkenazi or Israeli type customs? If so, that would narrow down lots of great choices.

CanadaDan

there's really no rules with us. it's mainly an excuse for family to get together. in the past we've done lasagna, there's always a baked french toast and a cheesecake and have even done a veggie pad thai so we're kind of all over the place.

Great. Frittas, latkes (potatoe, zucchini/carrot, etc.), soup and kugels can be made ahead. You could round the meal with fruit salad, challah and fun desserts. Do you eat fish?

Check out http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/ The Shiska I the Kitchen's bog. Great recipes for inspiration. I've used many, such as Crunchy, pickled salad, Potato-Crusted roasted vegetable pot pie, chilies and casseroles. All make-ahead.

TobiT

Savory bread pudding, salad, angel food or biscuit shortcake with late-summer berries or stone fruit. .

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Nice eggplants should still be in season then, so how about this beautiful dish from Ottolenghi's Plenty (it's actually the cover photo):
http://www.bonappetit.com...

I've made many recipes from that book that might suit your needs. Lots of interesting flavors and main-dish vegetables.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Here's another FABULOUS Ottolenghi recipe:
http://www.theguardian...

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oops, the link I just posted didn't give the name of the dish -- it's Green Pancakes With Lime Butter, also from Plenty.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oops, the link I just posted didn't give the name of the dish - it's Green Pancakes With Lime Butter, also from Plenty.

In addition to all the good ideas here, maybe include some fall harvest products (apples, pumpkins) as a nod to Sukkoth holiday, immediately following.

Liza's Kitchen NYC

My family usually does fish platters, bagels, salads, and those types of things - just a repeat of the Seudat Mafseket. We actually never eat anything hot... I think eggs are always a safe bet (and traditional) - you could do baked eggs with vegetables/cheese (a nod to a souffle kind of dish, I make mine with cream and whip them so there is a lot of air in the eggs before I put them in the oven. It makes them very light). Or you could do poached salmon (I know some families aren't fans of smoked fish platters, so poached fish is a good alternative) with boiled sliced potatoes.

The "Summer Bounty Frittata" in one of today's columns sounds very tasty. https://food52.com/blog...

And just saw this "Corn, Cheddar and Scallion Strata"
http://smittenkitchen.com...

Stuffed grape leafs, babaganoush, hummus,grilled flat bread with herbs, spinach lasagna. For the flat bread just make a pizza dough and divide it up. It grills in about 3min/side on a medium heat grill. Add some mozzarella cheese and sundried tomatoes after you turn it if you wish---serve with fresh herbs and olives. Or you can just buy some flat bread and sear it on a grill real quick.
Another good side dish is green beans with Greek tomato sauce.

THE MATH CHEF

I have a bunch of recipes that I created in my Breakfast and Brunch collection here - and all very healthful and low in fat, I believe: https://food52.com/collections...

Daniel, we do quiches of all types. One of my friends makes a crustless spinach and feta quiche that's great (I don't have the recipe, unfortunately). Try the kale and quinoa quiche on this site--I've made it with spinach and chard, and I always use Greek yogurt in place of the cream cheese--I just like it better.