Leftover baked sweet potato ideas?

Ideas for breakfast or dinner? The one I threw in the oven for dinner took too long, so now it's a leftover. It'll probably make about 2c of baked potato once I mash it down. Thanks!

• Posted by: erinrae
  • February 9, 2015

Nancy February 9, 2015

Cut in small chunks, heat up with some olive oil and thyme in a frying pan, use to top mixed dark greens for a salad. Garnish with walnuts & pomegranate arils (seeds). Or use good dried cherries or cranberries for the fruit. Finish with lemon juice or red wine vinegar.

Megan
Megan February 9, 2015

I like to make black bean sweet potato quesadillas. I mash the baked sweet potato with some cumin and coriander and salt, then spread it on the tortilla, add black beans, plenty of Monterey jack cheese, some cilantro, maybe some jalapeños. . And cook it up. Yum!

Pegeen February 10, 2015

Yum!

Pegeen February 9, 2015

Sauteed fritters would be great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Scoop the flesh out of the sweet potato into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons butter, an egg, salt and pepper to taste, about 2 tablespoons flour, stir to combine all. If you like add a couple chopped scallions, white to pale green parts only. (Reserve the green tops to chop for garnish.) If it seems too loose, add another tablespoon of flour. Heat a couple tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan until almost smoking, then drop sweet potatoes in small rounds, using the back of a spoon to flatten the top of each fritter just a little. Don’t crowd the pan. You may have to do this in batches. Sautee for a few minutes until golden brown underneath, then flip with a spatula and sautee for a couple minutes more. Remove and let drain on paper towels. If you like, serve with eggs – scrambled, poached or fried.

carlito
carlito February 9, 2015

For breakfast - could stir into any kind of oatmeal (reducing the liquid used for oats by a bit), add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, brown sugar if you wish and add a splash of milk and some toasted pecans.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 10, 2015

In ramekins or muffin tins, put a layer of hot mashed sweet potato topped with cooked bacon, then grated sharp cheddar, and,finally, an egg. Bake as you would baked eggs.

Or-- to the mashed sweet potato, add chopped cooked bacon, sauteed onions, cooked brown rice and a beaten egg as a binder. Season, make into patties and saute in a bit of butter or EVOO til brown on both sides.

anne7hall
anne7hall February 10, 2015

I agree with Nancy and her salad. For a more filling salad add a soft boiled egg. It is delicious!

dinner at ten
dinner at ten February 10, 2015

There's a recipe that I love for sweet potato fritters with a yogurt sauce in Ottolenghi's cookbook Plenty, or on his own website if you don't have the book:
http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/sweet-potato-cakes-shop

Healthline
Healthline February 10, 2015

This Roasted Sweet Potato Amaranth Porridge is a great, nutritious way to start the day: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/roasted-sweet-potato-amaranth-porridge

drbabs February 10, 2015

Make bread or muffins.

Bevi
Bevi February 10, 2015

I love this sweet potato soup: https://food52.com/recipes...

Since 2 c. mashed is about 1 pound of sweet potatoes, you can halve the recipe to serve four, and proceed with the recipe. Just add the sweet potatoes when you get ready to blend all ingredients together.

Megan
Megan February 11, 2015

All these ideas sound so good! I think I'll bake some sweet potatoes next week just to try some. You've probably already decided what to do with yours, but here's another tasty option. Sweet potato gnocchi with brown butter & sage. Really tasty. http://www.epicurious.com...

Peter
Peter February 11, 2015

This is one of my favorite Food52 recipes of all time:

https://food52.com/recipes...

So easy, so delicious. Reheats beautifully.

ADM
ADM February 11, 2015

How about Sweet Potato Croquettas?

Lindsay-Jean Hard February 12, 2015