how do you freeze a frosted cake? (is it even possible?)

mrslarkin December 23, 2010

yes, it's possible.

I would place it in the freezer uncovered until the frosting hardens, for about an hour. Then wrap in several layers of plastic wrap. To defrost, remove plastic and leave at room temp.

hardlikearmour December 23, 2010
betteirene
betteirene December 23, 2010

If you have a standard shortening- or butter-type cake (like the cake mix kind), and if it's frosted with American buttercream (shortening-powdered sugar-water), place the cake in the freezer. When it's hard, after about two hours, wrap it tightly in plastic. Thaw, still wrapped in plastic, in the refrigerator for an hour, or unwrapped at room temperature.

If it's any other kind of cake or any other kind of frosting, you'll have to give more details to get a good answer.

(Most of the cakes in the refrigerated display case at your local grocery arrive frozen, exactly the way you see them. At 0 degrees, they last about six months; they're taken out of the freezer as needed to keep the case looking full. Thawed, they have a shelf life of five days, and you have three days after that to either eat or re-freeze the cake.)

cookfordays
cookfordays December 24, 2010

its a chocolate cake with buttercream frosting (with butter, not shortening).

latoscana
latoscana December 24, 2010

Wrap very aggressively when frozen solid - if you've ever sampled wedding cake that has spent a year in the freezer, you'd know why!