🔕 🔔

Can i still use these frozen chicken bones to make broth even though they are frost burned?

asked by XXX-XXX-0503 about 5 years ago

You can, but I suspect you won't like the result. You know how a piece of cake or pie tastes that's been in the fridge just a bit too long - it tastes basically like the refrigerator? Well, that's likely how your stock will taste. My watchword with stock is: garbage in, garbage out. They'd be a pretty cheap throwaway.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Agree with boulangere; I even threw away the wing tips and other oddments if they become frost burned. The result is nasty. My solution to that was to purchase a vacuum sealer, which has resulted in the freezer being filled with all sorts of interesting soup ingredients sans freezer burn!

wssmom, I have a feeling that many of us consider the freezer as sort of endlessly prolonging the life of something. I think there's a term for that - cryogeneration, or something like that. But not so. Too long in the freezer is, well, too long in the freezer. The good news is that you can toss it out frozen before the garbage starts to stink. Love the vacuum sealer idea.

@boulangere, you are so right! Even with the vacuum sealer I toss everything in the freezer after six months!

Wholefoods user icon

You have gotten great advice with your question. Freezer burn has nasty flaovr to it jus as the others have said. Toos this stock out Trust us!!!!