Can i still use these frozen chicken bones to make broth even though they are frost burned?

boulangere September 8, 2011

You can, but I suspect you won't like the result. You know how a piece of cake or pie tastes that's been in the fridge just a bit too long - it tastes basically like the refrigerator? Well, that's likely how your stock will taste. My watchword with stock is: garbage in, garbage out. They'd be a pretty cheap throwaway.

wssmom
wssmom September 8, 2011

Agree with boulangere; I even threw away the wing tips and other oddments if they become frost burned. The result is nasty. My solution to that was to purchase a vacuum sealer, which has resulted in the freezer being filled with all sorts of interesting soup ingredients sans freezer burn!

boulangere September 8, 2011

wssmom, I have a feeling that many of us consider the freezer as sort of endlessly prolonging the life of something. I think there's a term for that - cryogeneration, or something like that. But not so. Too long in the freezer is, well, too long in the freezer. The good news is that you can toss it out frozen before the garbage starts to stink. Love the vacuum sealer idea.

wssmom
wssmom September 8, 2011

@boulangere, you are so right! Even with the vacuum sealer I toss everything in the freezer after six months!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

You have gotten great advice with your question. Freezer burn has nasty flaovr to it jus as the others have said. Toos this stock out Trust us!!!!