A question about a recipe: Gianduia Semifreddo (Chocolate-Hazelnut Frozen Dessert)

8c655afd e97a 4343 b116 f8589c5e8993  semifreddo img 3983 food52

I have a question about the recipe "Gianduia Semifreddo (Chocolate-Hazelnut Frozen Dessert)" from Emiko. I couldn't get the cream chocolate mixture to whip to the "fluffy" stage. I thought it was cold enough after an hour in the fridge but maybe not.

asked by S K Mazza about 4 years ago

Emiko

Hi, it should be cold enough. And it shouldn't take too long to whip the mixture until fluffy (think whipped cream but thicker, like a mousse). This stage, along with the meringue, is important because adding the air to the mixture via whipping is partly what makes the semifreddo so light (and not a frozen solid block like an ice cube). Depending on the type of cream used it may not whip up quickly but the texture you are looking for is that of a mousse. Hope it turns out well in the end for you!

S K Mazza

Thank you. It never whipped but I added it and the texture was still OK. It still tasted great, if not as light as it should have been.

Semifreddo is one of my favorite desserts to make - thinking of doing this one next weekend for a dinner party. I notice that the recipe lists cream, but not specifically heavy cream - maybe SK Mazza used light cream (aka single cream)? That would explain it not whipping properly. Semifreddo really is essentially a frozen mousse.

Emiko

Yes, I was thinking the same thing! I used heavy cream.