My mascarpone whipped cream curdled. Can it be saved?

I whipped some mascarpone (at room temp) and heavy cream (cold) together and it went from being creamy to curdled in the blink of an eye. I whipped it at high speed for a long time, hoping it would get creamy again, but now it looks like cottage cheese, with a lot of extra liquid. What did I do wrong? Can it be salvaged, somehow?

asked by Madhuja about 5 years ago

mstv

I had that happen before and I added more unwhipped cream and whisked it in and it came together (uncurdled).

mstv

However, yours sounds like it may be more curdled than mine.

PazzoNico

Just drain it through a cheesecloth and make butter.

The cream "churned" and the liquid is buttermilk. But still, you can use that as a spread for toast with just some salt or with some fruit preserves or jelly on pancakes. Mascarpone butter (it's a thing).

Marilu

I was prepping my mascarpone cheese and I was rushing myself to prepare my tiramisu that it curdled up on me. I tried looking it up on different sites and I could it not find the solution to the issue but frustration. I microwaved the bowl with the mascarpone mixture for less than a minute, whipped it and placed it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. After cooling, I whipped it again and it worked like no mishap has ever happened. proceeded with blending it with my heavy cream mixture. Viola!! My tiramisu is refrigerated for several hours then dessert will be served in no time. Hope this would help :-)

lanikazi

My mixture was comprised of (straight out of fridge) mascarpone, butter (room temp), and powdered sugar. I always read that the mascarpone should be used straight out of the fridge, which has always worked for me even when creaming with room temp cream cheese and sugar for my cheesecake. I also know not to mix the mascarpone by itself for too long otherwise it will curdle. Anyway, with my aforementioned mixture, it curdled right away when I used a stand mixer. I moved it to a glass bowl and microwaved it a couple of times in 10 second increments. Mixed it by hand and the mixture soon uncurled and was smooth again.