🔕 🔔

Is creamy horseradish sauce the same as prepared horseradish? Using it to prepare homemade cocktail sauce for shrimp. (The horseradish sauce that I have contains water, soybean oil, horseradish, distilled vinegar, corn syrup, corn starch, sugar, salt, egg yolks, mustard flour, lemon juice concentrate).

asked by coaklde almost 6 years ago
D1964e69 bde7 422d 9621 9d8c1f7bc3cf  newliztoqueicon 2

No. I use prepared horseradish to make my own creamy horseradish sauce. You have a sauce already prepared by the list of your ingredients. I buy "cream style" horseradish in the chilled deli section of the grocery store. To make my creamy horseradish sauce I add 3 T. of it to 1 cup of sour cream, 1 chopped shallot and 1 T. champagne vinegar. For cocktail sauce, I combine ketchup, horseradish and lemon juice in whatever spicy proportion I want. Good luck!!

If I already had the creamy horseradish sauce I would use it. Sometimes you just can't go back out, or if you do the stores may be too crazy busy. I am including a link to Ina Garten's recipe for Roasted Shrimp Cocktail. It is so easy to make and so very. very good. No more boiling, steaming, or any other method when it comes to shrimp. Her cocktail sauce is also great. Enjoy!

http://www.foodnetwork...

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Yes, use what you have. For a cocktail sauce whisk in either ketchup or chili sauce (which is just spicy ketchup) to the creamy bit. But for the future think about buying whole horseradish and peeling and grating it yourself. Not much work.

Thanks, everyone. I was actually in the midst of preparing the Ina Garten recipe for Roasted Shrimp Cocktail, and I agree - both the shrimp and sauce were fantastic. I did make poor hubby go out to the store again for prepared horseradish; didn't want to chance messing with the recipe. Everything turned out great. Thank you for your help!