Besides for food52 where else can I get great recipes?

More advanced than foodnetwork, I'm interested in advanced and ethnic food

asked by Noah Truwit about 4 years ago

I recommend Tastespotting.com. It is sort of like an aggregator of food blogs where you can search for a wide variety of food recipes from around the globe.

Epicurious is good. Also just googling things like "Korean recipes" will bring up many good sites. You will start to recognize the good ones. I also like thekitchn.com.

Meaghan F

These, plus the NY Times food section (before their new iPad app - see response below) are my go-to favorites.

IlovePhilly

The New York Times just released a (somehow) free cooking app that has a ridiculous number of fantastic recipes!

Noah Truwit

whats it called?

NYT Cooking. Smart move on their part, with such a large database of generally (but not always) well-tested recipes. ;o)

ATG117

Why can't i find it when I search the app store for NYT cooking?

It's just for iPad. They have a WAP site (wireless access protocol site - the internet site adapted for use with mobile devices) but apparently no app for phones, yet. ;o)

ATG117

Thanks, AntoniaJames.

Food odyssea

Epicurious pulls recipes from many sources.

That's why I enjoy them.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I also like foodandwine.com and saveur.com

jamcook

Online sources are great, but real cookbooks are,I think, even more fun.you don't have to buy them all. Just go to your public Library and sit down with a pile of books, and then check out a few to take home . You will begin to get an idea of which authors, and tastes and styles appeal to you .You will also find that many of the authors you like also maintain websites. Have fun

Hear, hear. Libraries are especially good for finding older gems -- books well-researched by real pros, with no photos (my favorites). So many, so much good work, without the me-me-me-ness that has overtaken the online echo chamber of food writing, and that is increasingly prevalent in printed cookbooks. Okay, I'll get off my soap-box now. ;o)

BakerRB

I like seriouseats.com. There are many articles I have no interest in at all ("where to eat" in cities I don't visit), but there are some great recipe developers.

I totally agree with this. If I google an ingredient or method and seriouseats is on the list, I always click on them first. I thought at first it was connected to Alton Brown.

You mean there aren't enough recipes here for you? I can't believe you've cooked every one! ;)
I'm glad to see someone else mention real cookbooks. That's my first line of defense. And not always my own collection. The library is full of great books, and it gives you the chance to try out some of the contents before you invest in a whole book. Quite frankly, other than here, I don't trust recipes by people I don't know, or those who identify themselves by other than their real names. I guess you'd call me old school, and that's okay with me. My go-to authors vary depending upon cuisine.

Horto

we have a great library here in Greenwich, CT and that's a great resource for me.

I can spend an hour browsing my library's cooking section. The library's digital offerings are a good source, too. Amazon occassionally has good deals on cookbooks and if you don't want to pay full price for a cookbook, sign up at ereaderiq.com for price drop notifications. If you speak a foreign language, play around with google. Look for TV and radio networks, newspapers and magazines in that language and see what you can find. I also like the BBC's food website--and River Cottage in Devon has good recipes posted on its site.

mypersiankitchen.com, cliffordawright.com (for middle east), Los Angeles Times (for recipes from e.g. Koreatown, Vietnamese, Persian immigrants), allrecipes.com is surprisingly good for basic and authentic recipes

bigpan

Google some known ethnic restaurants around the world - many post some recipes for their famous dishes on line.

Bevi

I love The Splendid Table website.