Can slab bacon substitute for Pork belly?

I recently heard an NPR article about a Chinese Pork Belly dish that took me right back to a friend who made it for a pot luck in Australia. However, Pork Belly's pretty expensive here in the US and I happen to work for a farm that sells Wild Boar Bacon in slabs. Does anyone know or have a theory on if I could substitute the slab bacon for Pork Belly?

asked by Erica Kane about 4 years ago

I would ask the farmer for an uncured boar belly before I tried it with the cured bacon. Also, even whole foods sells raw pork belly for under $4 lb.

Erica Kane

Thanks, but I don't have a Whole Foods. I'll see if they have any uncured

bigpan

Boar will have a more Haney taste than pig. Try locating an Asian butcher for a chunk of in cured unsmoked belly. Slow cook it and sit back and enjoy.

Erica Kane

I know that it'll be more gamey- that doesn't bother me, I just want to know if it would *work* as a substitute.
(I live in the middle of rural, agricultural countryside- there are no asian butchers)

bigpan

iPad thought of another word for "gamey".

Lol..I was soo curious about what the heck haney meant. :)